Available third-party software
This article is a compilation of different lists of software available for FunKey S users. For direct access to the list articles, use the following wikilinks: third-party OPK applications, emulatable freeware games, emulatable commercial games, or emulatable utilities. This page also hosts this wiki's inclusion criteria that define which types of programs are or are not included in the linked-to lists. As the default emulators of the FunKey S are not perfect, users interested in the device's out of the box incompatible games should consult this list.
Inclusion criteria[edit | edit source]
To narrow the scope of these lists, several criteria have been defined by the editors to exclude software that does not meet the standards necessary for inclusion. To be included, software must be:
- Developed to run on the FunKey S natively or be emulatable via one of its supported or soon-to-be-supported emulators. Software that can only be run by emulating a system within a system (such as ColecoVision emulation on the GBA) will not be listed until the respective system is emulatable on the FunKey S directly. If future support for a system has been announced for the FunKey S, software for that system may be listed here.
- Currently available with the permission of its publisher. This requirement extends to both freeware and commercial releases, whether digital or physical. Software available without the permission of its publisher, such as abandonware and pirated or unreleased software, may not be included on any of the lists. Commercial games that are no longer being sold by their publishers are also not included.
- Original in its codebase. While software that is either a port or recreation of software on another system is allowed, unauthorized ROM hacks of other software on that platform are not.
- Sufficiently appropriate for a general audience. Just as all major consoles prohibit the publication of adults-only games on their platforms, these lists will not include any software that, if rated based on the standards of a rating board such as the ESRB, would be rated as adults-only.
- In English, or if in another language, fully-useable without needing to understand that language.
- Fully-playable with one controller. If a game is multiplayer-only, it can only be included if it allows all players to share the same controller.
- Complete or mostly complete, significant in scope, and fully-playable. While there is certainly room to interpret how "finished" a game is, all games on this list should be playable to completion by the average player in a minimum of fifteen minutes, be the definitive version of that game (no demos of commercial games), and contain no glitches that prevent completion and/or crash the game. For inclusion on this list, a game should also have most of its intended levels and mechanics implemented, as described by the game's developer. In terms of the minimum playtime requirement, high-score based puzzle and arcade-style games are less limited in this regard due to their essentially infinite replayability, though should still include score counters, life meters, and preferably (though not a requirement) high-score counters where applicable to be considered complete or near-complete. Due to the varying ways in which a game's completeness can be interpreted, this criterion may be applied differently on a case-by-case basis.
As the games on these lists are more thoroughly tested, some games currently present may be removed if they are found to not meet the required criteria. If a listed game is found to no longer be sold by its publisher, it will be removed from this article. If several homebrew iterations of a game exist on a platform, such as Pong or Tetris, the best few among them should be kept and the rest removed, assuming that the latter do not have additional mechanics that make them unique. While new games will be added to the lists as they are found and tested, users may also suggest list modifications here.
List contents[edit | edit source]
In categorizing FunKey S compatible software, there are several factors that can be used to differentiate one piece of software from another, including if its: running natively or emulated, freeware or commercial, a game or a utility, published in a collection or individually, and whether or not its ROM file is easily accessible for use in emulators, among other factors. To make navigating to specific types of software easier, all software has been divided into lists that are split between articles, based on several of the factors listed above.
There are currently 34 third-party native programs, 1,407 emulatable freeware and commercial games, and 34 emulatable utilities listed.
Native programs (OPKs)[edit | edit source]
Due to the availability of development tools such as an SDK, several native programs have been created for or ported to the FunKey S. An extensive list of such programs can be found here, with applications, emulators, and games being the primary program types.
Emulated programs[edit | edit source]
This section lists various games that are playable on the FunKey S. The two primary types of games are those that run natively on the FunKey S and those that are emulated.
Games[edit | edit source]
This section links to lists of games for systems that the FunKey S can currently emulate. These games can either be freeware, meaning that they are free to download for use in emulators, or commercial, meaning that they are currently being sold in a digital or physical format. As compatibility with additional systems is announced, games for those systems will be added to the existing lists. The following list contains all of the systems that the FunKey S can currently emulate, in addition to systems that cannot currently be emulated on the device but whose future emulation has been confirmed by the FunKey Team (such systems are marked with a ¹ symbol):
To give readers an idea of which systems could be supported by the FunKey S in the future, below this paragraph are listed various systems that are not currently officially emulated on the FunKey S. To begin, the following list consists of systems that can currently be emulated accurately at a reasonable speed on the FunKey S via one or more third-party emulators:
While MSX games can also be unofficially emulated on the FunKey S, as this is done via meta-emulation on the GBA rather than native emulation capabilities, the system will be excluded from the above list until a fully-functional, natively-running MSX emulator is released for the FunKey S. Taking into account the technical limitations of the FunKey S, the following list has been additionally compiled as a means of theorizing additional emulation capabilities the device could potentially receive at some point. Note, however, that the presence of a system on the following list does not guarantee that it can or will be emulated on the FunKey S and is not indicative of any potential intents or plans of the FunKey Team.
If a system not yet announced for the FunKey S is missing from one of these lists, feel free to add it to the corresponding list or leave a message about it on the FunKey community Discord server.
In order for a game to be emulated on the FunKey S, its ROM file must be placed within the folder of the system that is being emulated. While all freeware games listed have their ROM files available to download for free, the purchase of many of the commercial games listed does not grant the buyer direct access to the ROM files of those games. Despite this, for physical copies of games and some digital game collections, there are third-party tools available to allow users to extract the ROMs of the games that they purchased, so such tools will be listed where available.
Utilities[edit | edit source]
This section links to a list of utilities that can be emulated on the FunKey S. To make searching for certain tools easier, utilities are divided by type rather than by platform, so each listing also lists which platform that utility is for. Listed utilities include, but are not limited to, calculators, eBook readers, emulators, and music players.